Sunday, 11 November 2012

Frosty Weekend

A run along the Bow.
Monday and Tuesday commutes on the bike were the end of the two wheel travel with some more snow arriving. A hockey game Tuesday night, and then a couple of lazy days before a terminally boring spin in my living room Friday in front of the TV. So boring, in fact, that the next day I couldn't face another spin, despite the -25C wind chill factor. Not quite ready to get out on the bike in the deep freeze, I actually bundled up and laced up the trail running shoes for the first time in a hundred years. Ok, I did go for a run in Seattle this summer before embarking on the cruise ship, but I was in my regular runners, not my trail runners. Sante was all in ... not quite as fun as when Mom can keep up with her on the wheels, but a jog is better than a walk!

Sante and the steaming Bow.
To my surprise it didn't suck. I ran a nice steady slow pace and managed to go 45 minutes without stopping or walking. I guess this bike fitness crosses over. Ha ha! Of course, just like the Seattle experience, this one resulted in some really sore legs today. (I need to run more regularly and reap the benefits instead of the pain.) So some light recovery was in order.

First I took Sante to the river path for a brisk morning walk. All good times until she got beat up by another dog. I won't go into it but she got a couple chunks taken out of her flank and her back leg. I took her home and cleaned her up. (I'm getting used to frozen blood. What's with that?!) Thankfully no stitches required so we avoided a trip to the vet.

The Bow being wintery.
I debated all day yesterday about what to do for a workout today. I have a great network of active friends and thus lots of options at times. I could have gone cross country skiing with any number of people (though my newly purchased skis aren't going to be ready until next Friday, I could have borrowed some), hiking, or riding if I could find someone crazy enough to go with me. Enter Michele! I figured I could use some time on the new studded bike tires to get my confidence up before the commute tomorrow morning. So we bundled up against the -25C windchill and struck out on a slow spin on the bike path.

We rode to Cafe Rosso in Ramsay and got a coffee and a snack to warm up. Not long after we got there Kate and Jon showed up for their warm up treat too. Team Ridley's out training for the Andalucia Bike race in February.

Yeah, it was a frosty cold weekend but with the right clothes and the right attitude, you can get outside (stay off the treadmills and trainers) and see some beautiful sights and breath in some amazing fresh air. Nice! And today was Remembrance Day ... a day to honour the sacrifices made for this awesome country we live and play in. Lest we forget.

 

My dad and brother honouring the day.
Studded winter tires!
Michele and the Bow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment