Sunday, 2 June 2013

Mud'r5er (Shortened Giver8er) ... AKA Cheese Whiz Race

Photos by Holly and Sarah
Photos by Holly / Sarah
What to say about today... It marked the beginning of my second year of racing and riding. This race, last year, was my first ever. Last year ... 4 laps, each under an hour (I was thinking today that I was faster than last year, but nope ... however conditions were better last year). Today ... 2 laps. One as fast as last year's fastest, the second, 1hr24 where I couldn't pedal all the time; sometimes due to the zero traction on the Cheese Whiz mud, sometimes due to the chain suck, at least once due to a stick in the cassette. Sometimes I pushed the bike and its 10-15 extra lbs of mud even while the wheels wouldn't turn. Once I tried to carry it. Once I slid down a hill on my ass. Once I turned it upside down to try and spin all the mud out of it ... it was a looooong lap. And then they called the race. It was comical. But we got a second place finish in the 2 women category. Yay for Different Sisters!
Lauren and I post-race (Holly photo)

Thanks to Lauren for being my race partner. Thanks to all the Spin Sisters (I think there were 25 of us) for making it a day of positive energy and enthusiasm. Thanks to Trevor for looking after all our bikes all day. Thanks to Garry for showin' up to cheer his well-cared-for bikes (and their people) on and take photos in the rain. And thanks to the Deadgoats for running a great event, but calling it before it got un-fun. Mother nature ... no thanks today. Another great mountain biking adventure in the books!

Check out the Spin Sisters Race Report too!
Photo by Sarah
Photo by Garry
Photo by Garry

Photo by Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment