Monday, 16 September 2013

Back in the saddle! Wicked September Riding!

Quickie Bowmont CX Spin
Midweek Mayhem Sisters!
Wow time has been short with work and work travel. I was off the bike for the better part of two weeks with work commitments. I returned to Calgary this past Tuesday night, landing at midnight, and got myself to my first cross race of the season 18 hours later. My lungs and heart had a bit of a shock with the altitude difference but I gave it my best shot! I still have that love/hate thing with cross, but as Anna says "race to train!" Indeed. It was also great to be out there with some fellow sisters!

I've been demo'ing some different bikes to get a feel for whether I want to take the plunge to a new one for next season. 29ers and 650bs have been on the menu. I think, with Martha's help, I've ridden 5 different bikes in earnest, and spun a couple others around a parking lot for size. It's been fun seeing how they all ride. Some I really didn't dig at all ... they felt all wrong. And a couple had me feeling like the Titus isn't the only bike I can rock. ;-)

Anyway, wrapping up my comeback week on the bike, I rode an old favourite trail that I haven't been able to ride this year due to the flood. Powderface Prairie Link. I took Sante out for a ride with Howie Saturday. Love that trail, lots of variety and lots of water for the pup. We had a great day with only a little bike hauling/bush whacking required.

Yesterday was the feature ride of the week though. I finally got to ride Jumpingpound Cox! (We did the non-shuttle 35km / 1300 metres of climbing version.) I've heard about this trail since I started riding last season and have been wanting to see it for myself. What a great day with a great group of women!

My lungs are still trying to catch up to the altitude so the climbing was a bit of extra suffering than it would have been otherwise (still plenty of suffering no doubt!). So worth it though! The views were everything I imagined and the descent was a BLAST ... smile-making good times!

I shoulda taken some shots of the post-ride trail-gate party with the chips and Coke!


Cheater peak bagger! 
No more bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment