Sunday, 17 February 2013

Fresh Tracks on the February Long Weekend

The weekend's not done yet and it's been great so far! Yesterday the high was +11C in the afternoon. Sarah and I got out for a road ride in the morning. It wasn't quite that warm yet but very pleasant and not too windy. We rode from Tuscany to Cochrane and back. Hills and my cross bike (aka, tank) make for a good leg workout. I was done in time to get Kate to the airport for her second attempt to fly out for her big race in Spain. Then a nice walk with Heather and some doggies. It's tough to be out and watching Sante's every move right now to make sure she doesn't do anything to interfere with healing after her tonsillectomy. She's rarin' to go and full of energy but her throat is still raw and random objects that go into a Labrador's mouth are to be avoided. The vet wants her kept low key for another week. Boo! So today's awesome bike adventure was sans Sante. After a morning on the phone with the bank. Not fun. I met Gloria and Diana out at West Bragg. Fun!

The trails were reportedly in decent shape so we opted for that rather than the longer drive out to Canmore. I expected a dusting of snow but as I got through Bragg and closer and closer to the trailhead parking lot, there was more and more snow. I'd guess there was about 2" of powder! Oh well! You never know what kind of fun can be had if you never give the situation a go so ... after a huddle, the consensus was to give it a try. My only regret was that I didn't bring my flat pedals with me. I just wasn't anticipating that much fresh snow. The 3 hour adventure (from parking lot arrival to departure) involved a whole lotta smackin' my shoes on my pedals to try and dislodge some snow and ice so I could get some cleated purchase in the pedals. I did all right overall but there were times when a foot left the pedal entirely and created an extra pump of adrenaline or a stall. Gloria had similar issues and decided about 15 minutes into things that she wasn't up for the pedal battle. She went back to the parking lot and, we found out later, did some riding in Fish Creek as a Plan B.

Diana

Di and I (and Emmee, Di's pup) carried on up Ranger's Summit, breaking trail. A snowshoer had gone before us so we weren't the first tracks, but definitely the first bike tracks. And foot tracks at times; I'd say we walked about 30% of the climb. Other than the 2" of top cover, there were sections of loose, crusty, deep ice/snow that would grab the wheel. All good though. I've taken my bike for walks before! Ha ha ... we made it up to the "rock chairs" which marks the start of the descent down Strange Brew.

Riding in the snowy forest is a different experience; you don't hear much really. Your breathing of course, maybe a random creek from the bike. There's not a lot of speed happening on the flats or the climbs so it's a little surreal how quiet it is -- no wind in your ears, the bikes seem to only whisper as they glide over the soft snow. I loved it. So peaceful. Every now and then on the way down I'd stop and, if I was in front, it would take a minute or so before I'd spot Di soundlessly moving through the trees above me.

We enjoyed the descent. Riding the snow means you're "skiing" the bike in some ways. Or surfing (might be a better word) through the soft sections or around the switchbacks. Feeling the bike under me and working it down the trail and around the switchbacks was so much fun. I was thinking back to a ride Suz and I did on these trails early in the season last year and how challenging I found it. It's nice to remind myself of improvements I've made over my first year mountain biking. Certainly the winter riding, even on the cross bike, has made a difference too.

Now it's time to go play some hockey. Go legs!

Snow brush!

 

Gloria

 

No comments:

Post a Comment