.JPG)
This
weekend I felt like I rose up and out of the ashes -- or my pajamas
anyway. After being laid up with my back out, then getting the worst flu
of my life, that turned into a respiratory infection, I got off the
couch, out of town, and into the fresh air with some great women. This trip has been in the works since about October so I was glad not to miss it.
Eight of us -- including three Spin Sister Race Team members, Sarah N, Gloria S, and myself -- arrived in
Nipika Friday
afternoon, brought together by Martha, who coaches most of us, for a
ski training weekend. Wow. If you've never been to Nipika, it is truly a
slice of heaven. Especially if you're a dog. Dogs are welcome and, in
fact, encouraged to be offleash. XC ski heaven for a dog owner.
Still
feeling run down and affected by antibiotics I didn't think I'd want to
ski much, but after getting there and seeing the beautiful track set right outside our cabin, I wanted to
give it a try. After Lyle (our host at the lodge and a former olympic
coach) set my skis up with some Klister for the spring conditions, I
joined the girls on a light evening ski. I was short of breath a lot but
the pace was light and, with some stops and an undue amount of sweat, I
made it. It felt awesome to be out in the fresh air. After some supper
and a glass of wine, I slept hard that night.

Up
the next morning and I joined the slower group for the morning ski,
figuring I'd loop back to the resort if I couldn't handle it. I did well
though to keep up a decent pace and was happy with my effort. The
sunshine was warm and glorious and the coaching help from Martha was great. (I've been doing this classic ski thing wrong for 30 years.) I wish I
could say the forest smelled amazing but I couldn't tell through all
the snot. I'm sure it did though. I was done though after that. My
afternoon ski was short and without quality but Sante seemed pretty dang
happy to be back out in the woods with me for a third time in the span
of 24 hours. In between skis we had a wax clinic from Lyle. If you think
you know anything about waxing, have a look at the photo of his wax
kit. Yipes! The skate skiers also got a lesson from the pro in the
meadow.
 |
| Lyle and the gang. |
After
a gourmet group meal that night, some Lyle-provided spiced rum, and
some enthusiastic encouragement from everyone present, I opted to take
Lyle up on a skate ski lesson Sunday morning. All winter I've been
hearing from all my cycling friends that I need to take up skate skiing.
I've had zero interest. It looks ridiculously hard to master. And if
anyone tells you that being a hockey player will make you a natural at
skate skiing, just flip them the bird.
 |
| Sketchy the cat. |
Seriously ... my years in size 8 hockey skates did
nothing to prepare me for skating on 185cm skis. However, to my
surprise, a seed has been planted. I plan to take a couple more lessons
in the fall on better snow (not icy spring snow) and see if I like it.
One of the big appeals is I live 5 minutes from Canada Olympic Park and
could get out for a good skate ski workout once or twice a week after
work. Efficient and outdoors. Could work for me!
It was
a fantastic weekend with some great ladies in a very special place in
the Rockies. It was just what I needed after being laid up and sick for
so long. I'm feeling about 85% of the way back to healthy, here's to
getting through the last 15% quickly.
Get outside!
I should mention we saw evidence of awesome singletrack while we were there. Including the "Blow Your Chamois" trail. Yeah we'll be back!
Kootenay Crusher anyone?

.JPG)
.JPG) |
| Friday arrival ski. |
.JPG) |
| A lesson in the meadow from Lyle. |
No comments:
Post a Comment