Calgary to Phoenix to Prescott with the bike went off without a hitch. I got to Prescott Tuesday afternoon and checked in, built the bike and went for a townie spin through the hilly neighbourhoods. With a bike shop right beside the hotel, that was obviously the next order of business. Steve the mechanic was a Whiskey Off Road racer too and really emphasized that the trails of the Whiskey race aren't the best of Prescott. With the Alberta gang of 29er Lycra friends arriving the next day, it was great to already have a line on some local-recommended trails. I also did a little shopping. If you're ever in Prescott, check out the Manzanita Cyclery for great outdoor lifestyle gear and clothing. After a pint and a burger at The Raven, I called it a day.
Sarah and Sean arrived on schedule Wednesday rockin the rental mini van. With three built bikes, three bike bags, and three adults with luggage, we were a cozy fit to the rental house but after that it was ride time. Martha and Jared weren't far behind and we all hit the trail to scope out one of Steve's recommendations and link up with the second race route climb and descent.
Out of the parking lot I was workin hard to try and keep up with the seasoned racers. They were kind enough to wait on me as needed and we had a super fun 35 km ride and climbed about 3500 feet. Only one snake was run over ... evidently Sean ran him over and left him angry and snapping in the air as Martha came up behind. He must have gathered himself quickly since he was off the trail by the time I came along. I never saw him. If he managed to fang a tire, it did no good with the trusty tubeless Stan's set up. Angry snake wasn't the only wildlife encountered on the trip...
The next day Sarah and I did an easy 1 hour ride on another one of Prescott's great single track trails. I saw no trailhead names so I can't entertain you with those, but there's a great trail map available at all the bike shops if you're ever down that way. They know how to build fun trails!
Friday the 29er gang headed off to check out more of the course and do a pre-ride of another section. I was under the weather and opted to stay back and rest with a book in the cool house we rented in "The Potato Patch" up on the hill in the pine forest. I did spin the legs out a little later on the road before we all headed into town to watch part of the pro women's "Fat Tire Crit" (wow, they were hammering on the asphalt and up that hill ... looked painful!) and grab some pre-race Italian grub at Papa's. I also registered and grabbed my swag bag. After the pre-race meeting in the courthouse square, there was nothing left to do but mount the race plate, get some sleep, and wake up for race day! Ok, maybe fuss a lot over fuel choices for the next day ...




No comments:
Post a Comment