Heck Yeah! was the name of the XCountry race in Hinton today. My first non-enduro race. And, happily, my first solo finish since I didn't manage to complete all 50k I'd registered for at Rundle's Revenge earlier this summer.
With temps in the high teens and no rain, the day was perfect for riding! I expected to do a couple of laps on the short course but the organizers wound up deciding the Masters Novice women were going to ride one short then one long. No time to psych myself up for the fact I was going to face a more technical track. Just ride. Eek!
I put myself at the back of the pack at the start line and started the prologue section with all the youth riders. I passed a handful of them and one dude. Then I was on my own for most of the time after that. Me and the course I didn't get to pre-ride the day before (Santé pulled a disappearing act in the first couple kms so I spent my time looking for her and waiting for her at the start line where she eventually came looking for me.)
The race for me was 14k and 1760ft climbing. The long lap had some technical trail I walked. Super steep, exposed, loose, and with tight switchbacks. I did ride some of the steep straight stretches so I was happy with that. The rest of the course was within my pay grade and a lot of fun. Especially the berms. I probably smiled the biggest though when I came upon the banjo guy after a long climb. Thanks banjo playin' dude! You helped me get more out of my legs!
Since there were only two of us in my category I even got on the podium for a silver medal. I'll take it! Ha ha!
A fun day outside!
Official results.

No comments:
Post a Comment