Sunday, 16 December 2012

Countdown to Christmas Break

Early winter sunset.
Time flew by with a busy work week and not much energy for anything else besides some abridged dog walks early in the week. Thursday and Friday the walks were in daylight and longer thankfully. Daylight is in short supply right now. The sun shows up at 8:35 and slips away at 4:30. Ouch. The days start to get longer after this coming Friday though. Yay!

I hauled my butt to hockey Friday night and felt better for it. We got our butts kicked but the hockey was fun and I felt good on the skates. Saturday I met Heather and Dave for a walk down at River Park and then snuck in a late day pathway spin on the Norco. I was out for an hour just before sunset and the temperature tanked from 0C to -10C over that hour. That was a fast drop.

A walk in the woods.
Today Michele and Alison talked about doing mountain bike ride in Bragg Creek since the conditions are reportedly pretty good with only a little snow and some bare dirt sections on the trails. But, since I haven't seen much of Heather lately, she and I took our doggie friends out to Kananaskis for a ski. (She claims her mountain bike has a flat and is burried in her basement!)

We did Ribbon Creek ... the conditions were ok. There were some sections in great shape and some where we were skiing on pine needles and other forest debris. I bailed three times. I was feeling all cocky about being out twice so far without getting horizontal at all. Today I got a reality check. Good news though! I remember how to get up after a fall! Woot! Tricky with the skiis and poles. Sante thinks it's a great time when I'm down on the ground; she ploughs her head into me and snorts and wags her tail. Yeah, thanks buddy! All three dogs had a blast today running ahead and, on the downhills, keeping pace alongside us. Happily, everyone we met on the trail had a friendly greeting for the dogs and nobody was grumpy about them.

One more work week before some time off for Christmas. I can make it! ;-)

Make plans to get outside over the holidays! I'm hoping to get out for a lagoon or lake skate, some skiing, some biking, some road hockey with the brothers and nephews, and maybe even some tobogganing! Nice!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment