Thursday, 4 April 2013
Weekday group ride!
I got out for a ride on Tuesday night after work with Lauren and Lynda. Yep! An after work -- in daylight -- road ride. At first I was thinking Lauren's plan was a little ambitious since she proposed a ride to Cochrane at 6pm. A ride to Cochrane for me has typically been a 70-85km loop. However, from her house in Rocky Ridge, and without actually dropping down from the Cochrane hill into town, the loop is 35km. Perfect for an evening outing.
The weather was perfect all day with a sunny high of 19C and, with everyone bracing for the return of winter forecasted for Wednesday, we set out into a mild breeze. Shortly before we made our turn to loop back, the wind was picking up and chilling down. Over the course of our 1.5hr ride we went from 14C down to 7C. Not bad but the toes and fingers were chilled by the end.
I felt strong on the bike after my rest day ... that is once I suffered through the junky legs for the first 10 minutes. We kept a mild pace on the highway and I was pretty successful staying in my MJ-prescribed heart rate zone until we started the return leg.
The girls, on their road bikes with slicks, left me in their dust on the first downhill. My pedaling efforts and knobbie tires on my tank of a cross bike were no match. Might have to switch to slicks and the lighter Scott CX to try and keep up better for future rides. I'll save the tank and the knobbies for those gravel road weekend rides.
Best news of the night? Lauren was looking for a Giver8er partner. Hey me too! "Different Sisters" shall ride as a team!
I'm still fighting the sleepies (so tired lately) so last night I took a break that involved sitting down on the couch and falling asleep pretty much immediately.
Spin class tonight! Jeff'll keep me awake! And word is my overhauled mountain bike is ready to be picked up. I'll pick up The Red Bike tomorrow. The Arizona trails -- and the Whiskey Off Road (Eek!) -- are less than 3 weeks away now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Go Different Sisters!!
ReplyDeleteYeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :)
Delete