Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Jewell Pass and Prairie View

What a great ride today! Linda and I did the Jewell Pass / Prairie View loop. I've hiked this before but never ridden it. The climbing from Barrier Lake is on a simple wide trail with really only one section of tougher grades. Mostly it was a steady rhythm up the switchbacks without much fuss. Well my heart and lungs fussed but the legs were happy with the granny gear. 

Linda hikin' her bike.
While we climbed, the dogs got to chase all the squirrels who dared attempt a tree-to-tree ground scamper. Santé even found herself a nice leg bone to haul around until I made her leave it. It was long enough to give us some spoke trouble if she got close to a wheel! I also was hoping a bear wasn't now missing her lunch and coming looking for it. 

At the top of the climb is a super steep and rocky hike-a-bike. It's actually a tougher job getting through here in winter without a bike on your shoulder. Lots of good footing this time of year. Done with the climbing, we stopped for a snack before starting the descent on the back side of the mountain. 


View to the bottom.
After Linda had some trouble even finding the trail, she did some stop-and-starts in the soggy steep scree before getting some traction. I walked the start. I don't love scree. Then we were into the trees on some super wet rooty bumpin' trail. And I mean rooty. It was a long time before the grade leveled off and the trail showed some dirt in between more roots. I was way back behind my saddle practicing staying loose and using my body to absorb the shock. It was a rush getting through this successfully! My hands and wrists were fatigued and achy by the time it was over. But I was a happy camper. 

Next up! Rocks! (Small boulders?) Lots of wet rocks. If I'm gonna ride rocks downhill I do prefer them solidly stuck in the ground like these were. The maneuvering is more predictable that way but you have to stay ahead on your decision-making to pick your lines. I got behind on that plan at one point and did a slow motion stop and drop. Cranked my shin nicely one one of those solidly entrenched rocks. No biggie. Back on the bike and more downhill. 

I was pretty happy with myself for, not only conquering this trail, but for having a great time doing it. Just a wee healthy smidge of fear to snuff out now and then. Nothing to stop me. At the bottom the dogs got a swim and Linda and I cooled down our legs in chilly Barrier Lake. 

Awesome ride! Here's the map and elevation scoop if you're interested: Strava.

Post-ride eats at Milestones.
Pre-ride fuel.


No comments:

Post a Comment