Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Night Riding with Siri!

Tonight was my first night ride. Well ... first time riding in the dark. The sun is setting around 7:30 right now so our 6:30ish departure from the trailhead guaranteed we'd be using our lights. That and an unfortunate mechanical.

Five Spin Sisters were out for the Powder Face / Prairie Link ride tonight. Sandy and three others I hadn't ridden with before, Shmoo (yes, she prefers to be called that over Amanda), Tori, and ... um ... I'm not so good with names.

Fun! We started to see some darkness after the climb up the double-wide trail. No lights yet though ... after the climb it was fun times swooping down the other side. Tori and I got to the bottom of that first descent section and waited. Then waited. Waited some more. Just as I was heading back up the trail to see if there was any trouble, one of our riders came down and said Sandy had a flat and she and Shmoo were working on it. No problem! Bundle up, test the lights, have a drink. Wait. Wait. Then Shmoo is next down with a message that her pump didn't work and Sandy doesn't have one. So the girls said they would carry on ahead and I rode part way back up and met Sandy walking down with her front wheel in one hand and the bike in her other.

No sweat! We put my awesome little pump to work and got things going. I snapped a couple photos then helped Sandy with the pump. The iPhone was still in my hand though. I guess I tapped something because right there in the middle of the dark forest, Siri announced she was unable to help us at this time. Ha ha ha! Thanks for nothin' Siri! You're useless without a data signal! No worries, we've got this.

Cougar here before us? Coyote?
Then we were off. Sandy and I caught the girls after some time, right at the climb up the gravely/rocky slope to the next summit. Up, up, then we all rode down together. Our cars were the last in the lot!

As I was loading my bike onto the Rav it was sadly obvious to me that my Nite Rider light set for my bike throws a lot more light than my vehicle headlights! Optical illusion? At any rate, I had a blast and loved riding through the forest in the dark with some cool chicks!

Outside is fun at night too!



No comments:

Post a Comment