Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Intro to Cyclocross Racing

What is cyclocross racing you ask? Well, I asked anyway ... I asked Google. According to Wikipedia, cyclocross racing consists of many laps of a short (2.5–3.5  km or 1.5–2  mile) course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction and remount. Ok. Sign me up I guess! 

Remount demo!
Sarah figured we needed a new challenge after the Bow 80 and proposed we give this whole other two-wheel activity a go. She organized a clinic with super-coach Martha Handford -- note the remount demo photo. She's only missing a cape! Along with Suz, Heather, and a couple of other gals on mountain bikes, we all showed up at Shouldice (right in my hood!) for an introduction to the sport. I wasn't sure what to expect but was pretty sure I was going to add to my collection of bruises and scars. 

On my newly-fitted cross bike, I learned how to properly dismount, carry my bike over obstacles and up hills, and how to remount on the fly. It was way more fun than I expected it would be! 
Over the barrier!

In the relative tame environment of a level grassy field, I witnessed no wipeouts from the group. Though there was blood drawn by a crazy "oodle" dog whose owner had no clue how to corral him, and some reports of remount bruising and a pulled groin. Ouch! Smiles all around regardless. Happily, I came out unscathed and pretty pumped up to give this stuff a try in a real race! 

Stay tuned for a report after my first race this coming Saturday.

Get outside! Look at those fall colours!

Oodle menace.


2 comments:

  1. You my friend, are insane. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we agree that insanity is relative? Either way, I have good company! :)

      Delete